Wednesday, July 2, 2014

None of That Other Stuff Really Matters

I was having another pajama day.  You know, the days where I didn't quite make it into regular clothes and remained in my pajamas all day.  Okay, okay... So it was a pajama week.  There, I said it.  This whole scenario had actually been recurring, and much more frequently than I would have liked.  Life happens sometimes.  On this particular day, my husband walked in the door from work while I was at the stove preparing dinner.  I inwardly sighed about my disheveled appearance and said to him, "I'm sorry I'm still in my pajamas and still have no make up on."  As a side note I should say that I know my husband loves me inside out, top to bottom, through and through, make up or no make up.  But I also know he really appreciates when I take care of myself and look nice for him.  He lovingly looks at me and says, "Babe, none of that really matters to me as long as you have a good attitude."  This response surprised me actually.  Not at all what I expecting.

It's gotten me thinking about attitude though.  My husband has always been a firm believer in choosing how you feel, which is really choosing your attitude.  And I have typically fought him on this issue, especially when my emotions are high.  But for some reason what he said that day really hit me.  I think it is possible to choose my attitude, regardless of how my day went, what the kids did, what the bank account looks like, etc.  It's possible; I didn't say easy.  So to assist us in our choosing at the marketplace of attitudes, I have put together some practical applications on how to have a good one. Here they are:

1) Make a declaration about your attitude.  Before (or even in the moment) there is an opportunity for some situation or circumstance to spoil your attitude, declare to yourself and those around you that you will have a good attitude today.  Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue.  And those who love it will eat its fruit."

2) Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what the real problem is.  Often times the problem that we see isn't really the problem.  Why are you having a bad attitude?  The Father loves to speak to His children.  Spend some time talking to Him and He will show you what's going on.  He will also give you the solution.

3) Choose to smile!  There have been studies done proving that smiling improves overal attitude and demeanor.  Not to mention that it's easier on the facial muscles! http://www.livestrong.com/article/18859-health-benefits-smiling/

Give these a try for a couple weeks and let me know how much your attitude has improved (and if your husband notices ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment